Most people when stung by a honey bee will show some form of allergic reaction ranging from a mild redness to severe or in some cases anaphalactic shock. Persons who suffer from asthma are more likey to have a severe reaction and should be very closely observed.
When stung by a honey bee is it very important to tell someone that you have been stung and if the bee is dead it would be a good idea to keep it in case it needs to be verified as being a honey bee (many persons call wasps bees and vice versa). A honeybee will normally leave its sting in your flesh, it will be very visable and easily removed by a scrape of your finger nail. The sting should be removed as soon as possible as even though it is detached from the bee it will still be pumping venom into your body.
Sit down and relax, the sting site will probably become red swollen and itchy, try not to scratch. If you are stung around the face and become swollen it would be wise to seek medical advice and take an antihistamine.
If you experience any of the following symptoms then you must seek medical advice and DIAL 999 immediately:
- the person has been stung by many bees at the same time
- a rash that appears over the whole body or swelling that gets worse instead of better
- nausea (feeling sick)
- pains in the chest
- choking or wheezing
- difficulty breathing